Saturday, November 30, 2013

Falling again for Eugene

Eugene Onegin at the Met
November 24, 2013

With the opening gala, this is my second Eugene Onegin of the season, essentially because I’m a devout Villazón fan and could just not miss his comeback performance at the Met.

Photo Credit: Ken Howard / The Metropolitan Opera
The first (and last) time I saw Rolando live was in a Lucia di Lammermoor at the Met in 2009, when he bewitched me with his powerful warmth and visceral musical sweetness, all while making me cry copiously. Back then I got out of the Met transformed, having for the very first time experienced live how an Italian-style tenor, like no other singer, can have a “streak of animal sensuality which cuts through all operatic politesse and leaves the listener gasping.”* Shortly thereafter, during a later performance of that same run of Lucia di Lammermoor, Rolando’s voice failed to respond and cracked instead of producing a high note. In front of a full house at the Met, he stopped singing for several seconds, cleared his throat and then repeated the note.  Villazón’s vocal chords cysts saga unfolded, he underwent surgery and stopped singing for a while,  then resuming performances only in Europe. Though I became an avid listener of all of his recordings, I was longing to see him perform again, so much that I toyed with the idea of flying from NYC to Vienna or Barcelona for a week-end just to hear him in Don Giovanni or Elisir.

It was such joy (though tainted by trepidation) to see Villazón perform again on that very stage where his vocal chords first so publicly failed him. He was the expressive singer and charming actor I remembered and managed to heat up Russian singing with his always rich and warm tone. His power may not be exactly where it used to, but I blame the size of the Met for that (and my family circle seat). While his Lensky died tragically in Act II, Rolando movingly looked like the happiest singer in the world at the curtain call, high-fiving Peter Mattei, hugging everybody, double fist-pumping in the air and jumping up and down, rightly excited for having finally dominated the Met again. I cannot but join in such excitement, relieved that one of my very few favorite living tenors can still do it!

Photo Credit: Ken Howard / The Metropolitan Opera
While there’s scarcity of great tenors, lately I’ve come to realize that there are plenty of awesome baritones around ready to knock my socks off. This time it was Peter Mattei. While I think I saw him before, probably in a good Barbiere a few years ago, this time I was blown away by how he absolutely owned Onegin, with charismatic manly stage presence, effortless spotless signing, dynamic acting and deep musical Russian phrasing. Mattei was truly magnificent as he fleshed out Onegin, bringing the character to a whole new level of depth. His transformation from cold, snotty and cynical to ardent, passionate and love-crazed was one of the most convincing and heart-wrenching performances I've seen at the Met.

Photo Credit: Ken Howard / The Metropolitan Opera
Photo Credit: Ken Howard / The Metropolitan Opera
Marina Poplavskaya was a vocally solid Tatyana, however pretty pale next to my recent memories of Netrebko singing this same role. I will say, though, that Poplavskaya has less of a diva stage presence than Netrebko that, oddly, led to more effective acting with respect to the shy dreamy characterizations of Tatyana in the first two acts.

Photo Credit: Ken Howard / The Metropolitan Opera
Photo Credit: Ken Howard / The Metropolitan Opera
Bass Stefan Kocán as Prince Gremin was as always excellent and commanding, my only critique being to the Met’s make-up and wig department: he is supposed to be an old retired soldier but he looked like the youngest, sleekest and hottest of all men on stage. Grey hair and some wrinkles were much needed to make his character credible.

The production may have been the same, but the different cast really transformed Eugene Onegin into a whole new experience. Also, without the gala distractions (tiaras-spotting, gay protesters and the like), I was able to better focus and appreciate even more the deep romanticism of this opera. The outbursts of passion really came through as the backbone of the piece: Lensky’s declaration of love to Olga, Tatyana’s letter, Lensky’s jealous fight with Onegin and his nostalgic aria before dieing, Gremin’s bit on the joys of married love and Onegin’s final desperate love confession to Tatyana. Tchaikovsky’s adaptation of Pushkin’s novel in verse really does pack in a lot of quintessential operatic drama, and I am grateful to the Met for having lured me twice to enjoy it.

I may have gone to this second Eugene Onegin to check on Rolando (very glad to see he’s in good form), but came out having fallen head over heels for Peter. I should start scheduling some operatic travel to catch more Mattei. It looks like the only other opportunity this season to see this dreamy baritone will be in Berlin for Tannhäuser in April – who knows, he may even help overcome my Wagner fears.

– Lei

Photo credit: Maria Protopopov / Blog Villazonista
Photo credit: Maria Protopopov / Blog Villazonista


A Night at the Opera: An Irreverent Guide to The Plots, The Singers, The Composers, The Recordings, Modern Library, 1998, p. 852



No comments:

Post a Comment